660-259-9910 | email@example.com
As a trial attorney, Mike has tried a number of cases across a wide variety of practice areas and industries.
During his career, Mike has been named to the annual Best Lawyers in America directory, including in 2016 where he was recognized for his work in product liability litigation and personal injury litigation for plaintiffs.
Video: Langdon & Emison Attorney Mike Manners
In November 2000, Mike was appointed by Missouri Governor Roger Wilson to serve as a Circuit Court Judge with the 16th Judicial Circuit, Division 2 in Independence. Judge Manners received such prominent distinctions as the Theodore McMillian Judicial Excellence Award from the Missouri Bar, and “Best Circuit Judge in the State” by Missouri Lawyers Weekly. The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association bestowed him with its Joseph E. Stevens, Jr. Aspire to Excellence Award for his service as a judge in 2012.
Prior to his appointment, Mike spent 24 years as a trial attorney with the firm that eventually became Welch, Martin, & Albano. In 1989 Mike was granted a Certificate of Civil Trial Advocacy from the National Board of Trial Advocacy, a process that is open to trial lawyers who have experience as lead counsel in a number of jury trials after background investigation and written examination. In 1995, he was accepted for membership in the American Board of Trial Advocacy, an organization of trial attorneys representing members of both the plaintiffs’ and defense bar.
Mike has been a frequent lecturer at educational forums for trial judges and continuing legal education programs for attorneys. Having served as president of both the Eastern Jackson County Bar Association and Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Mike is committed to serving the legal profession and his clients.
- J.D., University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law (1976)
- B.S., Summa Cum Laude, Central Missouri State Univ. (1972)
- US District Court for the Western District of Missouri (1976)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit (1980)
- United States Supreme Court (1983)
- Evidence of Post-Accident Repairs or Changes in Products Liability in Missouri, 39 J.Mo.Bar 130 (1983)
- Appeals to the Circuit Court, II Missouri Appellate Practice and Extraordinary Remedies (Mo. Bar 4th ed. 1989)
- Chapter 537 Settlements, Missouri Litigation Settlements (Mo. Bar 2d ed. 2001)
- Member of the Missouri Bar Committee’s review of Missouri Evidence Restated (2d ed. 1993)
- Chapter 51, New Trial Motions, Bench Book for Missouri Trial Judges.
- Survey of Recent Civil Trial Practice Cases presented at the Summer and Fall Judicial Colleges, 2004 to 2012 (co-authored with Dudley McCarter)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice
- American Board of Trial Advocacy
- American Judges Association
- Association for Women Lawyers
- Attorneys Information Exchange Group
- Eastern Jackson County Bar Association (Past President)
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys (Past President)
- Missouri Bar Association