Who pays the damages that exceed the policy limits?

In a car accident caused by a negligent motorist, the at-fault party is responsible for your damages. The driver’s insurance may cover your damages up to their policy limit. To collect the remaining amount, you can hire a St. Louis car accident lawyer to help you pursue compensation directly from the negligent driver.

Langdon & Emison is a trusted choice for auto accident cases. Our St. Louis car accident attorney can review your case and make sure you receive a reasonable amount of compensation from any at-fault parties. To learn more, please get in touch with us.

who pays the damages that exceed the policy limits

What happens if someone causes more damage than what’s covered by insurance?

A car insurance policy includes liability coverage for medical and legal fees. Liability insurance protects against bodily injury. It also helps people get money for any property damage they suffer in an auto accident.

Liability insurance coverage has a limit. If you suffer damages that exceed this amount in a car accident caused by someone else, you can sue the at-fault party. This allows you to request money beyond what the at-fault party’s insurance company is willing to pay.

Langdon & Emison is a law firm that has more than 30 years of experience with car accident lawsuits. Our team can take a look at your car accident case and help you pursue compensation from anyone who caused you harm. For more information, please reach out to us.

What happens if I get into an accident with an uninsured driver?

Following a car accident, you can request the at-fault motorist pay for your damages. However, it’s impossible to get compensation from this motorist’s insurance company if they don’t have coverage. Fortunately, if you have collision or uninsured motorist coverage, you may be financially protected.

Collision insurance covers costs to repair or replace your car after an accident. Uninsured motorist coverage helps you pay for medical bills and other expenses relating to your accident caused by a driver who didn’t have insurance. Along with using your collision and uninsured motorist coverage, you can still request compensation from the negligent motorist.

When you sue a negligent driver, it can take months or years to get the compensation you deserve. An experienced car accident lawyer in St. Louis can help you secure damages right away. By hiring a lawyer who has a track record of great case results, you can put yourself in the best position to receive a fair amount of compensation.

How much time do I have to seek damages after a car accident?

If you get into a car accident in St. Louis, you have up to five years from the date of the incident to pursue compensation from any at-fault parties. This is following the statute of limitations for personal injury claims. If you do not file a lawsuit within five years of your auto accident, you are solely responsible for any costs associated with it.

After your car accident, call 911, get medical help, and report the incident to the police. Also, keep track of any costs associated with your accident. You can use medical bills, car repair receipts, and other documents to show a judge or jury that you deserve compensation from the driver responsible for your accident.

When you have a best-in-class car accident attorney in St. Louis at your side, you have nothing to worry about. Your lawyer commits the time, energy, and resources to help you build a compelling argument. They’ll make sure to present an argument that helps you secure full compensation.

Want to know more about your rights after a car crash?

The team at Langdon & Emison can help you file a car accident lawsuit and get money from an at-fault motorist. To request a free case evaluation, contact us online or call us at (866) 931-2115.

Related articles for further reading