Types of Injury Cases We Handle
Any time an injury has likely been caused by another party’s negligence, recklessness, or criminal act, Langdon & Emison is there to help the victim seek to recover their losses.
Some of the most common injury cases we handle include the following.
Chicago Car Accidents
With busy traffic in the city and surrounding freeways, car accidents happen in Chicago every day. A report by IDOT found that Cook County saw 162,527 accidents in 2018 alone. Approximately 248 were fatal and 31,404 led to injuries, with 3,481 of those being serious/incapacitating injuries.
Determining the cause of a car accident and what sources of compensation are available is rarely easy. That’s why so many Illinois residents trust car accident lawyers in Chicago to help them manage their case. Langdon & Emison provides extensive experience and a winning track record to help you and your family seek recovery for the maximum amount of compensation available.
Defective motor vehicle parts can cause accidents that were otherwise preventable. In other cases, the vehicle component may cause an injury to occur or be worse when it would not have in other circumstances. Our attorneys vigorously research your defect and recent legal action taken in light of it to help you recover your losses and move towards regaining a normal life.
Consumer Product Defects
We bring consumer products into our home thinking they will improve our lives, but some products injure or kill because of glaring defects. Langdon & Emison is not afraid to stand up against large corporations to help you seek the maximum compensation available for your injuries from all liable companies.
Property owners have a duty of care to remove hazards when possible and a duty to warn property occupants of hazards that cannot reasonably be removed. Premises liability cases often come down to the defendant alleging that the injury victim contributed to their own injuries or that the injurious circumstances were not “foreseeable.” Our attorneys are familiar with these defenses and are prepared to assert your legal rights to the fullest extent of the law.
Spinal Cord & Brain Injuries
Whether caused by a slip and fall, a motor vehicle collision, or any other negligence-related incident, an injury to the brain or spinal cord presents special circumstances. Your attorney must be experienced with catastrophic injuries and capable of coordinating with medical and financial subject matter experts to accurately assess your full extent of damages and future care costs.
Defective Medical Devices
Medical device manufacturers face stringent regulations and product safety reviews, yet many injury-causing devices manage to find their way onto the market. Defective hernia mesh, implants, and other medical devices can cause major injuries, pain and suffering, and further treatment.
Nursing Home Abuse
Abuse in nursing homes and other skilled care facilities is common in Chicago and across the United States. Many operators attempt to shirk responsibility by denying evidence or blaming employees. It often takes an experienced attorney team to uncover the facts, including laws that can hold businesses accountable for the injuries and suffering they have caused to your loved ones.
When the worst outcome happens, you and your family deserve a legal advocate who is willing to work closely with you to help you seek justice and restitution. Our wrongful death attorneys in Chicago will handle all aspects of your case while keeping you informed and updated every step of the way.
Other Practice Areas
- Roadway Defects & Signage Hazards
- Railroad Accidents
- Dangerous Drugs
- Business Interruption Insurance
How Our Chicago PI Lawyers Can Help
When you first get injured, you may feel scared, confused, and overwhelmed. We are here to help you make sense of your situation and to assess what legal strategies can help you seek the compensation you need to recover.
An attorney from Langdon & Emison can perform the following duties when it comes to handling your case:
- Investigation – We look at all available evidence and often send experienced investigators to gather our own. This evidence can prove pivotal for establishing negligence and documenting it in a way that convinces a jury.
- Research – One of the biggest predictors of case success is whether there is a history of cases similar to yours in court filings and other resources. We look deeply into applicable laws and prior rulings to help you arrive at an optimal legal strategy.
- Accounting Your Damages – All damages must not only be assessed but documented according to the standard expected by both insurance and legal proceedings. We help you assess every cent inflicted as a result of your injury or wrongful death incident.
- Negotiation – Most personal injury cases are handled through out-of-court settlements, which requires an experienced negotiator who is also knowledgeable of what legal maneuvers serve as disincentives for defending parties to seek trial litigation.
- Counseling and Guidance – We work closely with injury victims and their families to understand their goals, inform them of their rights, and advise them at every stage of the claims or litigation process.
A History of Winning Cases for Our Clients
Collectively, our firm has obtained over $750 million in trial verdicts and settlements. We have also helped establish the rights of consumers and accident victims through important trial precedents. Some of our landmark case results include:
$59 million auto defect case verdict against the Toyota motor company
$26.4 million auto defect case verdict against the Ford motor company
$7 million truck accident case outcome against Dunaway Timber
$6 million defective product verdict against Wal-Mart